The exact date that the monastery was erected is not known. An inscription on the bell of St. John suggests that it was built in 1594 AD. The monastery is located in the northern rocky side of the Mesokorfi hill. It is 170m above sea level and overlooks the Libyan Sea.
The abrupt slope was a rather convenient place for the monastery to be built since it helped the resistance to fight the Turkish army. The Turks destroyed part of the monastery in 1646 and in 1670 after the war had ended, a monk named Prevelis built his cell and stayed there until he died.
Visitors to the monastery can still see the remains of the cell, which has been named after the monk. Akakios Prevelis, which was the monk’s full name, gave life to the monastery and reconstructed the part that had been destroyed by the Turks.